One of our most critical core values that we teach within our camps is often overlooked in the realm of sports and competition and that value is positive relationship skills. Surely, if you have been reading throughout this site and our affiliated social media sites, you will notice that we often cite positivity as a key recipe in building the ultimate teammate, and for good reason. Positivity can play a huge role in sports, it can motivate a child when they are performing poorly on the court and boost self-esteem when facing challenging situations, but it can play an even bigger role in life outside of sports.
Take psychologist Jolanta Burke, a researcher at Trinity College School of Education in Dublin, who recently found in a study that children who learned positive relationship skills had a more positive approach to adversity, performed better in school, and were less likely to suffer from bullying and depression. This recent study supports a similar study in 2011 from the American Academy of Pediatrics that concluded that children with positive attitudes were 50% less likely to suffer from depression as a teen.
Knowing the impact of learning positive relationship skills, here at Game On! we feel like it is our duty to instill and reinforce these skills daily with our campers. Some skill building tools that you will see us use within our camp include the following:
The combination of these different skill building tools will create a positive, joyful atmosphere that will encourage campers to challenge themselves and reach new heights within their basketball game as well as taking on challenges outside of the court!
While summer camps offer a wide variety of activities and events, sports camps can offer much more than safe and fun place for children to spend their summer breaks. The opportunity to learn and grow within a summer basketball camp makes them an ideal destination for parents who invest in their child’s future. We created a short list of some of the top benefits to campers who attend summer sports camps in Phoenix.
1. Fitness and Exercise: One of the most obvious and important benefits from summer sports camp is getting kids active during their summer break. The majority of a school year is spent in the classroom, sitting at desks. Summer break is an opportune time to get out of the classroom and into the gym.
2. Self-discipline and Positive Attitude: All children, at some point in their lives will face challenges and adversity. Sports camps help children learn the importance of perseverance while giving them confidence to tackle problems on their own.
3. Goal-setting: Summer sports camps often teach children the art of goal-setting while providing the fortitude necessary to reach them. Goal-setting is an underrated tool which helps children and adults reach their full potential.
4. Mentors: Coaches are a great source for positive mentorship, especially in children. Not only do coaches help build skills that can be used on the field, but also instill in campers a self-esteem which gives them an advantage in all aspect of life.
5. Social Engagement: The ultimate goal for any summer camp is to provide their campers with a safe, fun and engaging environment to learn and grow. Sports camps engage children in activities that foster a positive attitude and develop a teamwork mentality.
Summer basketball camps provide children with an array of skills and abilities that cannot be gained during a summer spent at home. Getting kids out of the house and into a camp can be a life-changing event for the whole family!
The Game On! team is full of energetic coaches and staff who have a passion for sports and helping children grow. This blog represents some of their interests and useful information they feel is important to share with our campers and their families.